It’s not really late-breaking, but it is kind of late. Here’s your Rock news for the week:
- THIS SUNDAY: Last week, we took some time to remember and give thanks for the blessings of the last 10 years. Have you set up your rock as a memorial to help you remember one of God’s blessings to you? If not, there is no time like the present. You’ll be amazed at how much a simple visible reminder can help keep your focus in the right places during the week. Join us this Sunday for Week 2 of Remember and Give Thanks. We will take some time to remember and give thanks for the people God has used to bless us over the last 10 years. Invite your favorite person and your second favorite person and join us. ALSO, don’t forget your chance to dig a little deeper on Sunday mornings. Come to the Lied Senior Center a little early (at 8:45 a.m.) to participate in a new video-based discussion called, “The Bible On Trial: Beyond A Reasonable Doubt.”
- WELCOME BACK CONCORDIA! Concordia University begin its fall term this Monday so all kinds of students will be back in town starting this weekend (including one of the largest income classes ever – over 400!). Please give a warm welcome to all the students who join us over the coming weeks and months and please remember all the students and faculty and staff in your prayers. Concordia has been equipping students with a Christ-centered education since 1894. In all those years, God has used Concordia to send thousands of students into the church and world to join Jesus in His mission (it’s one of God’s own missionary-making machines :)).
- NATIONAL YOUTH GATHERING: The LCMS National Youth Gathering is next summer in New Orleans from July 16-20. The first informational meeting was held last Wednesday. The second meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 2 at 7pm at the Seward Civic Center. If you are at all interested, talk to Pastor Mike and then come to the next meeting on September 2. To learn more about the gathering, check out the information on this web site: www.lcmsgathering.com.
- JUST A FEW MORE CHAIRS! We are getting closer and closer to our goal of 300 chairs. That puts us at the best part of the chair-it-able campaign. We have enough chairs now to cover our current regular attendance at the Rock. That means the chairs we need now are for the new families who haven’t been to the Rock yet. Your donation of $50 for one of these last new chairs means that someone who hasn’t been connected to Jesus will sit in that chair, get comfortable and get connected to Jesus. How cool is that?
- WORK NIGHT WEDNESDAY! Wednesday work nights continue at the new Rock. Please head over to the new Rock at 237 S. 3rd to help out from 5pm to 8pm or so.
- HABITAT FOR HUMANITY: The Rock is helping with the current Habitat for Humanity house in Utica. The first work day for the Rock was today. There is another one coming up on August 29. Interested in helping? See Pastor Mike or email him at email@example.com.
- FAMILY PICNIC ON SEPTEMBER 9: Everyone (including families from Stepping Stones, Faith Ink, and Godparents) is invited to join us at Plum Creek Park on the West Side by the Tennis Courts for a picnic to kick off Wednesday night activities this fall. Sloppy Joes and table service will be provided. Each family is asked to bring a side dish to share and their own beverages. Families may want to bring lawn chairs and blankets too. (In the event of rain, we will meet Sunday, Sept. 13th). Also, don’t forget to check out the web site www.therockseward.org for more information about Stepping Stones, Faith Ink, Godparents and how you can register.
- BLUE VALLEY PANTRY: GRAB SOME CANNED FRUIT!!! The Pantry is running low on canned fruit and needs to be restocked. Grab some cans and drop them off at the Rock this Sunday.
Blessings on your weekend.