Here’s your Rock news for the week:
- THIS SUNDAY. Join us for the beginning of a new series called “In Christ Alone.” Pastor and the youth and leaders just returned from the LCMS National Youth Gathering in New Orleans. Over the next four weeks, they want to share some of the awesome experiences they had and lessons they learned. This Sunday is week 1 and a look at what it means to have real Joy in Christ Alone. We’ll gather at 10:00 a.m. at the Rock. See you there.
- SPECIAL EVENT FOR VETERANS AT THE ROCK: If you know anyone who is presently in the military or is a veteran of military service, invite them to the 3rd floor of the Rock at 7pm on this Monday, July 25. All veterans in the community are invited to a “meet and greet” with the newest Nebraska Comfort Dog, Priscilla, from Trinity Lutheran in Lincoln. Priscilla will be wearing her military camo vest with her military handler Bradley Musick. It will be a great time to meet the dog and hear more about what she will be doing.
- GO FOR THE GOLD – JOIN GOD’S TEAM – THIS FRIDAY! Kids from Kindergarten through 4th grade are invited to the Rock for some Olympic fun and games from 9:00 a.m. to Noon on Friday, July 29. It’s open to everyone so please invite a friend. Click here to register online. Questions? Contact JenJanousek@yahoo.com.
- WHAT KIND OF GROUPS? The Ambassadors are planning small group activities to begin this fall and they need your input. A survey with six questions can be found here. It’s a fillable .pdf you can complete and email to Bill Schranz. The instructions are included on the attachment.
- THEY R US! The Stepping Stones crew is pleased to announce they are beginning work on the Stepping Stones classrooms on the 2nd floor of the Rock. They are moving things out, taking things down, and getting ready for fixing things up and painting prior to the start of school this fall. Most don’t realize that in any congregation, “they” really is “us”. We love to teach the children about Jesus. We need your help to get the new rooms ready. Can you help? We had a good crew last Wednesday and got a lot done. Special thanks to Lori Bruns, Bill, Matthew and Ann Schranz, Dave Kumm, Tim Butler, Micah, Lori and Tim Moravec. We have more to do, and with more hands, the work goes fast! Here’s how you can help: No experience necessary – just show up at The Rock, 2nd floor, this Wednesday anytime from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm. Lori Moravec will be there to help watch little ones if necessary. You can help spread the news about Jesus by helping get the rooms ready!
- NYG THANKS: Seventeen youth and five adult leaders from the Rock spent an amazing week in New Orleans at the LCMS National Youth Gathering! Thank you to everyone who supported the group’s fundraising efforts and prayed for all the participants. It was truly a faith-building and life-changing experience. If you see one of the youth or leaders, ask them about it. If you want more information about the gathering or would like to watch the evening mass events, go to www.lcmsgathering.com. The next gathering will be in July 2019 in Minneapolis!
- ANNUAL MEETING/POTLUCK! On Sunday, July 31, we will have our annual meeting to elect leaders and to adopt a budget for the upcoming year. We are in need of people willing to serve in leadership roles as directors or ambassadors. If you would like to know more, please respond to this email or contact Pastor Mike. Also, please plan to stay after church on July 31. We’ll have a potluck to celebrate another year of God’s blessings and then follow with our meeting. Here are the food instructions:
If your last name begins with N through Z, please bring a main dish to share. We’ll have power strips available if you want to plug in a crock pot or something to keep things warm during church. Meatballs are appreciated and encouraged.
If your last name begins with A through M, please bring a salad or side dish and a dessert to share. Think green jello, macaroni salad, potato salad, green beans with mushroom soup, etc.
The Rock will provide drinks and plates/cups/napkins/utensils.
Please bring along an appropriate serving spoon, ladle, tongs, forks, spatula, etc. to serve your dish as the Rock hasn’t accumulated any of those items yet.
If it doesn’t work for you to bring food, stay anyway as I’m sure there will be plenty.
- BLUE VALLEY PANTRY: This Sunday and next Sunday are the last weeks for canned meat.
- SYNODICAL CONVENTION: The Rock is a member church of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. Every three years, the Synod has a convention to elect leaders and to consider resolutions on a variety of issues. The most recent convention concluded on July 14. If you would like to know more about the actions taken at the election, click here: http://blogs.lcms.org/ category/reporter/convention.
Blessings on your weekend.