Here’s your Rock news for the week:
- THIS SUNDAY. Join us this Sunday at 10:00 a.m. for the beginning of a monumental new series! We’ll be looking at some famous monuments in the United States and the monumental moments in our journey from baptism to heaven. What’s the week 1 monument? Invite a friend and come relax with us and find out.
- AIR CONDITIONING/PARKING LOT. Back in April, the voters approved spending an additional $80,000 (over and above the prior construction budget) to pay for fire marshal items, purchase the parking lot, finish paving the parking lot, and install phase 3 electric to run the air conditioning for the worship area. The voters also approved borrowing up to $125,000 to fund these items while pledges are collected and we finalize the permanent long-term loan for the building. Since that time, we have completed the parking lot purchase and have paid for all but $9,114 of the fire marshal items. We have not yet been able to finish the last areas of paving in the parking lot or install phase 3 electric to run the air conditioning for the worship area. The reason those items have not been completed is that there has been some delay in getting loan approval from Lutheran Church Extension Fund for the short-term borrowing. A new loan officer has taken over our account (new to us and new to the Nebraska office of LCEF) and it has taken more time than we anticipated to work through the details of the loan. We anticipate that the process can be completed in the near future. Based on funds received and some potential cost savings, it appears we will only borrow $75,000 of the $125,000 approved by the congregation. As a result of the delay, we have had to make alternative arrangements for air conditioning in the worship area. The fellowship area on the 3rd floor has air conditioning units that run on phase 1 electricity so that area is cooled. Last Sunday, we were pretty successful in moving air from the fellowship area into the worship area to keep things comfortable. Going forward, we are going to add some portable air conditioners in the worship area to help out. We’re hopeful this will get us through nicely until the phase 3 electric project is completed. Thanks for your patience as we figure out how best to keep things cool.
- COMFORT DOG: The comfort dogs from various churches around the country have been in the news this week as they bring comfort to the families dealing with the tragic shootings in Orlando. The Rock will be part of that outreach on a national and a local basis soon. The time is now for us to ramp up with volunteers to be ready to do lots of things. Some of the areas identified so far are listed below. If you would like to know more about how you can help, contact our Top Dog, Randy Newsome, at 402-643-6595 or e-mail email@example.com. Here are the service positions:
- Caregiver: Houses and cares for the dog
- Back up Caregiver: to give Caregiver time away or in case of illness.
- Handler: trained to control and direct the Comfort Dog
- Ministry Assistant: goes out with the Handler and dog to aid by handing out the Comfort Dog’s cards and talking with people
- Social Media: Posting to the Dog’s face book page, Picture or Video taker
- Scheduler: Arrange time blocks for each handler
- Thank-you Coordinator
- Fund Raiser
- Prayer Warrior
- Cookie Maker and/or Shut-in goodie bags
- ANNUAL MEETING. On Sunday, July 31 (I had the date wrong in last week’s email), we will have our annual meeting to elect leaders and to adopt a budget for the upcoming year. We are in need of people willing to serve in leadership roles as directors or ambassadors. If you would like to know more, please respond to this email or contact Pastor Mike. Also, please plan to stay after church on July 31. We’ll have a potluck to celebrate another year of God’s blessings and then follow with our meeting.
- MORNING AMIGOS. This ladies group meets at the Rock on Thursday mornings at 10:15 am for bible study. All ladies are welcome to come every week or just once in a while. If you have any questions, please respond to this email or contact Sara Moll. Please note that the group will NOT be meeting on June 30.
- BLOCK PARTY ON JULY 3: Plan to join us outside at the Rock on Sunday, July 3, from 6pm to 8pm. We’ll be inviting everyone from the Rock and all the people from our neighborhood at 3rd and Main to start the Independence Day celebration a little early with some food and fun. Watch for an email with all the details in the next few days.
- BLUE VALLEY PANTRY: June is the month for pancake mix for the pantry.
- FINANCES: June 30 is the end of the Rock’s fiscal year. We’d like to finish the year strong and avoid the slowdown in giving that often happens during the summer. Please prayerfully consider regular gifts out of the blessings God has given you. Also, we would like to finish up the first phase of the fundraising for A FIRM PLACE TO STAND by June 30. One goal was to raise $150,000 in major gifts (pledged to come in over 3-5 years). This will be used to pay down our construction loan and help with other final repairs and improvements. We have received major gifts/pledges of $143,375 so far! That means we are only $6,624 away from our goal. A second goal was to raise $5,000 from room sponsors to help spruce up the classrooms on the 2nd floor of the Rock. We have received $4,451.99 so far! Only $548.01 to go! Please consider making a pledge yet this month to help us reach these goals!
Blessings on your weekend.