Since I bombarded you with emails last week, I held off a little with the Rock news. Here’s the news for this week and last week:
- LAST SUNDAY & THIS SUNDAY: We finished up with Week 5 of Joining Jesus yesterday. We learned how to connect to people through prayer. Don’t forget to pray over the prayer request you took home with you on Sunday. Also, keep working on working prayer into your relationships. If someone shares a concern or a joy, ask if you can pray for them or (better yet) ask if you can pray with them right there! If you didn’t pick up a copy of “Joining Jesus in His Mission” by Greg Finke when they were available at the Rock and would like a copy, reply to this email. This coming Sunday, Dr. Thad Warren will be leading our gathering an encouraging us to Light’n Up. If you want to get a jump start, read Matthew 5: 13-16 this week.
- WEB SITE. If you haven’t already done so, check out the updated web site for the Rock: www.therockseward.org. Also, if you don’t follow the Rock on facebook, click on the facebook symbol in the top right corner of the home page on the web site and you’ll jump right to facebook.
- PAINTING THIS WEDNESDAY NIGHT. Please come and help paint at the new Rock (237 S. 2nd) this Wednesday from 5pm to 8pm or so.
- CHAIR-IT-ABLE CONTRIBUTIONS. 222 chairs so far!! We’re getting really close! Only 78 more to go to get to 300. Let’s finish strong!
- NEED LEADERS. We need a few more leaders to fill out the Board of Directors and the Ambassadors. Would you be interested in sharing your talents with the Rock in this way? If you are interested or if you have questions, please respond to this email.
- ANNUAL MEETING: Thanks to all who attended the annual meeting this past Sunday afternoon. We approved the updated constitution and bylaws, approved an operational and campaign plan for 2015-16, approved moving forward with a comfort dog, adopted a budget and ate lots of ice cream. Also, Dave Kumm reported on renovation progress at the new Rock. The latest information from the contractor indicates that their work will be done by around the end of August!
- COME BE PART OF THE ACTION! You are invited! Please join the Thrivent Board on Thursday, July 30, at 6:00 pm, in the Seward Memorial Library. We need your help to assemble hygiene kits and layettes for Orphan Grain Train. We will be utilizing a Thrivent Action Team and you can join the fun! While assembling the kits, you will discover how simple it is to form an Action Team of your own–and take home some ideas for Action Teams and how to start one. The Thrivent Board is accepting donations of the following items for the kits. Hygiene Kit: bath towel, washcloth, bath-size bar of soap, adult-sized toothbrush, comb, deodorant stick. Layette: diapers, baby wipes, pacifier (new), bottle (new), sleeper, onesie, blanket, receiving blanket. The blankets and clothing may be new or gently used—but must be clean. Everyone is invited—and you do not need to be a Thrivent member to participate! Questions? Contact Gary or Erika Rolf, the Thrivent Congregational Advocates for the Rock. Also, Gary is a Thrivent Board member.
- ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE. Please help Blue Valley Community Action in Seward County provide school supplies to area children in need. The Seward County League of Women Voters will hold a Fill-the-Backpack event in conjunction with Blue Valley ON Saturday, July 25 from 11 am to 1 pm in the basement of the Civic Center. Bring a donation of K-12 school supplies and hear from a Blue Valley staff member about the many important services Blue Valley Community Action provides to families in Seward County. For more information contact SCLWW President Ellen Beck at 402-646-9112.
- BLUE VALLEY PANTRY: July is canned meat month except for tuna (sorry Charlie). Grab some spam (or other meat variety) and drop it off at the Rock any time this month.
Blessings on your weekend.