Here’s a bunch of Rock news for the week:
- THIS SUNDAY: Dr. Christianstein is safely back in his home country so it’s time for a new series. But before we go whole hog (or whole mountain goat) into something new, this Sunday will be a stand-alone Sunday focused on “Speaking of Jesus.” Want to get a jump start? Read the story of Jesus and Nicodemus in John 3. We’ll gather at 10:00 a.m. at the Lied Senior Center, but you can also come early at 8:45 a.m. for some bible study time with Pastor Mike. The group is currently working through some video bible study sessions.
- NEWTON FAMILY BENEFIT ON THIS SUNDAY, JUNE 14: Plan to stop by the Sparetime Lounge in Seward from 11 am to 2pm on THIS SUNDAY to help the Newton family. Sparetime will be serving a Pulled Pork Sandwich & Sides and there will be free will donations, items available for a Silent Auction and more. It’s all to help the Newton family deal with medical bills and transportation costs. Before he turned 1 year old, CJ Newton, son of Chris & Cosi Newton, was diagnosed with Craniosynistosis, a premature closure of the sutures of the head. When CJ was 9 months old his skull bones were completely closed but his brain wasn’t done growing. In April 2015 CJ had a Frontal Distraction procedure at Children’s Hospital. A second surgery is scheduled for July 9th at Children’s Hospital. They are not sure if any further procedures will need to be done since he has again been experiencing headaches. He is currently being treated for migraines and we pray that this will help alleviate the pain he is feeling. If you have questions or would like to help, contact Denny Erks at 402-641-4993 or stop by Sparetime and speak with Cosi.
- LCEF: Don’t forget, you can help the Lutheran Church Extension Fund (“LCEF”) and the Rock at the same time! Sign up for a new account for you or your kids or your grandkids and the Rock gets a rebate on its interest on our building loan. Information on how to sign up is available at the info table at the Rock and here: www.lcef.org. A young investor steward account can be opened with $25 and the interest rates are great. Thanks again to Paul Petit and Gene Gierke, our local LCEF representatives, for being with us at the Rock last week.
- VOTER’S MEETING: Thanks to all who stayed for the voter’s meeting last Sunday. A 5% increase in the construction budget from $785,000 to $825,000 was approved. NOTE: Our next voter’s meeting will be our annual meeting on July 19, 2015. At that time we’ll do all kinds of stuff including, electing leaders, adopting the annual budget, reviewing updated bylaws, considering moving forward with a comfort dog.
- IT’S (ALMOST) TIME TO PAINT AT THE NEW ROCK: Thanks to everyone who signed up to paint this week. Unfortunately, some contractor work didn’t get finished up in time so the painting session has been delayed to next Saturday, June 20. If you are available to help on that day starting in the morning (probably around 9am), please respond to this email or sign up at the Rock or contact Dave Kumm.
- CHAIR-IT-ABLE CONTRIBUTIONS. Praise God! We’ve raised enough for 86 chairs! That’s 28.666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666% of our goal of 300. I can’t stand repeating decimals. They just don’t sit well with me so please help us move that number up to a nice even 100%. Thanks!
- BLUE VALLEY PANTRY: Pancake Mix (the pantry prefers the “just add water” kind).
- NEBRASKA DISTRICT CONVENTION: The Nebraska District of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod is holding its convention this Friday and Saturday(June 12-13). Churches and schools from all over Nebraska will be sending representatives to Kearney to gather for worship, elect leaders and make important decisions regarding how the LCMS will help spread the Gospel in Nebraska. Pastor Mike and I will be attending on behalf of the Rock and Pastor Mike and Pastor Scott Bruick from St. John Lutheran in Seward will be serving as chaplains for the event. Please pray that God’s Hand of guidance would be upon all the delegates and the event.
Blessings on your weekend.